Goodlettsville’s history has its roots in the
early explorations of the longhunters in the
late 1700s. Kasper Mansker, a German immigrant
born on a transatlantic crossing to America,
discovered a salt lick in the area while
following buffalo and wild game. In the winter
of 1779 he established a trading outpost on the
banks of the creek, taking advantage of the
supply of fresh water and plentiful game.
“Mansker’s Fort” played a critical role in
protecting the early settlers from frequent and
fierce Indian attacks.
The early settlers were rugged and resourceful
as they struggled through harsh winters and
hostile surroundings. Mansker Station flourished
as a growing community, with a strong faith in
the providence and faithfulness of God and early
revivals that drew a thousand at a time. Circuit
riders, itinerant preachers who led worship
gatherings in private homes, paved the way to
the establishment of early churches in the area.
The Goodlettsville Cumberland Presbyterian
Church has been in its same location since 1848
and was rebuilt in 1902 after a fire destroyed
the original log structure. Connell Memorial
United Methodist Church was built in 1905 on a
hill overlooking the town and boasts beautiful
stained glass windows.
Around 1850 the town’s name of Mansker Station
was changed to Goodlettsville in honor of the
well-respected Goodlett family, whose patriarch
and grandsons served the community as physician,
pastor and store owner. The town has actually
been incorporated twice, the first time in 1858,
and again 100 years later in 1958, directing its
own destiny under the authority of city manager,
mayor and city commissioners.
Goodlettsville’s longest running, family-owned
business B.F. Myers began as a dry goods store
on Main Street in the mid-1800s, and is now a
highly reputable furniture store.
The Bank of Goodlettsville, established in the
basement of Myers store in 1889, moved to its
first official home in 1900. The original bank
building on Main Street was built of locally
quarried limestone and has an illustrious
history. As a bank it was robbed three times,
its vault once blown open with dynamite.